Friday, September 5, 2014

The "FITTING"......

This is the suit in the shop window that caught my eye and started me on the road to having a jacket made from a tablecloth from Otavalo...
 
When I entered the shop I discovered this is a tailor who caters to women,  and he makes lovely clothes,  executive suits, blouses,  coats, etc...
 
Rick and I went yesterday (Thursday ) afternoon for my fitting -- the jacket will be ready to be picked up on Sept. 12th.....Funny thing here about appointments and time....When I ordered the jacket I was told it would be ready the 6th....I asked when should I come in for a fitting,  & was told the 4th...so when I went  back for the fitting I expected  that we still have the 6th as pick up date,  but no,  if you want a fitting that delays everything so now it will be ready on the 12th...go figure....who would get something custom made without a fitting?    .....    And there were adjustments to be made.....    I also ordered a scarf made from the lining material -- it's also funny here that when they haven't done something before they think it's strange, and you really have to convince them that's what you want....since the lining of the jacket is a pretty lavender I thought having a scarf made to match was clever - they think it's strange  :)
 
We left and started down the street to go to Claro,  the cell phone company...Ricardo couldn't figure out why he ran out of time so soon  so we headed for Claro,  but I was so parched and needed a drink....I looked into the window of a bakery and saw tables -- it was a bakery/pastry shop,  so we went in....the counter was piled high with all kinds of rolls,  and in the cases wonderful looking pastries,  and there was a sign for Ice Cream....found a table and sat down.....
 
The Bakery is named La Colmena......very deep building with a small cafe and a huge bakery in the very back.....we had a piece of white cake, coke, and mora sherbert plus some bread and animal cookies to take home ....$3.80 for all......
 
Back on the trail to Claro I saw a street vender with a crowd so stopped to investigate....he was selling Adidas pants with colorful stripes on the sides ...$5 .....How could I pass up that bargain,  so I got a pair for Juan Gabriel.... The vendor had his family with him and they spoke Quechua among themselves...
 
Ricardo had gone on to Claro so I went in and sat down to wait for him....a lady who was waiting with  her ticket saw the pants as I took them out of the bag to look them over closely....she asked me how much & where,  and when I told her she jumped up and ran out & down the street.....guess I really did get a good deal!
 

Ricardo found out that he had used up all his minutes by not shutting off his phone....Opps....

Out on the street walking again towards Parque Calderon we passed a restaurant that specializes in seafood.   Picanteria Leo  ...happens to be the place that Don Colon goes to when he wants seafood,  so we went in and looked at the menu....A young man came over and introduced himself....Ivan,  the chef,  and he had recommendations.....I wanted some shrimp cheviche and Rick ordered chaulafan  (chinese rice dish)
I had a beer with the shrimp dish,  and we visited with the chef....nice young man who spent about 3 years in New York learning how to cook.....

When we left Ricardo noticed a plaque on the building ....the 1st hotel in Cuenca,  1920, called "Hotel Royal"  ..... this building cannot be torn down or changed,  only minor remodeling.....  still in very good shape.....

By now it was dark ... sun rises at 6am  and sets at 6pm..... the city looks different at night, beautiful, but different....it seems you notice some details more.....

Got a taxi to go home....Yolanda was still working, and Juan Gabriel was with her....he was VERY happy with the new pants.....and the cookies, of course!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment