Monday, September 1, 2014

My BIRTHDAY WEEKEND


It all started on Friday when we met Jean Lehman for lunch - we were co-celebrating our birthdays as hers was on the 27th and mine the 31st.....


 
 
 
Jean is a darling person who moved here from Minnesota about 1 year ago....a retired nurse social worker with the most enchanting personality,  warm, funny and so dear....we love her and really enjoy her company!
 
We decided to eat at the Villa Rosa, a lovely old colonial restaurant in the heart of the Historic Center....excellent food and beautiful atmosphere....
 
After lunch Jean and I went shopping,  Ricardo went home since he hates shopping.....We went to the Mercado San Francisco - a favorite of mine with wonderful hand made treasures from the indigenous people of Ecuador....We found a beautiful hand loomed multicolored purple tablecloth,  and then set off for the tailor.
 
This tailor's  shop looks more like a fancy dress shop -- I stopped a couple of weeks ago because of the window display with an orange and white suit that looked like it had come from New York....when I entered I realized it was a tailor's shop that caters to women.
I asked about prices and how they work and decided I'd get a jacket made there from the same kind of tablecloth material as Cristina's suit which turned out so darling......
 
After discussing style etc.,  he measured me and I tried on some of his pattern jackets....I was very impressed with the workmanship,  but this is a different project for him....most people don't have clothes made from tablecloths!!   I had clipped several pictures of designer jackets to show what I had in mind,  and chose a lavender lining --- go for a fitting on the 4th and pick up my new jacket on Saturday the 6th,  si Dios quiere!
 
Next door to the tailor is a small restaurant, and I was dying for a cup of coffee....we got talked into humitas with our coffee....and we had a nice relaxing chat.   By now it is late afternoon and time to think about heading for the hacienda...but as we were waiting for a taxi we passed a nail salon & decided to get our nails done....fancy manicures for $3 each....
 
Then we headed home to have a glass of wine and relax some more....I heated up some leftovers,  we popped a cork and were sipping a nice Ecuadorian wine when over came Susan, Bertha, Ximena & Eugenia so they got to know Jean.....They had come from a party of friends and were celebrating Susana's birthday on the 22nd of August and were feeling very happy....  They are so cute!!
 
Didn't realize it got so late, (it was midnight)   but we had already decided that Jean would stay over so we didn't have to worry about getting a taxi late at night....
 
Jean left about 8 am Saturday morning to wait for a delivery of furniture that she had had made,  and I went back to bed!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment