Saturday, October 18, 2014

....SHOPPING ITALIAN....

  It was another lovely sunny morning in Cuenca when Susana picked us up to go to Filippo's, the Italian cheese, sausage & bread maker....  We found his spot in the courtyard on Augustin Cueva and 12 de Abril.....his long table laden with wonderful fresh crusty breads and home made cheeses from his native Naples & Sorrento, Italy....

Giving samples of cheeses and breads.....

 We sampled it all...





Filippo is an Italian immigrant who is building a terrific business here and educating people at the same time.....Ecuadorians really know nothing about making different types of cheeses.....I got some Guyere cheese  and some I don't know what with nuts,  another with Aji (the local hot red pepper)  some olive bread  (with huge whole ripe olives)  a big round loaf of crusty bread, an apple torte and some pizza.....      In January he plans to offer classes teaching what wines with what cheeses....Right now Filippo only sells on Saturday in the courtyard....his shop will be ready in January so we'll be able to buy anytime then.

Susana's eyes were opened to some good cheeses and breads....he gives very generous samples of whatever you want so it's almost like having lunch of cheese, bread, pizza and torta...

With our bags of Italian delights we drove to Susana's seamstress....
I had several tops/blouses I wanted taken in and Susana needed to pick up a blouse she had made....  The seamstress is Rosa Elena....
 
"CLASE CONFECCIONES"
098 873 6713
281 2799
 
Rosa Elena Yllescas does great work and charges very little...she makes blouses for $7 to $10 depending upon the material and design and she does all kinds of alterations....I'm having 4 tops altered for about $10.
 
 
As soon as we got home we got into the delights of our Italian Shopping experience......Um, um good!!
 
========================================
 
Yesterday Rick spent several hours going to the hospital to pick up my records and taking them to the cardiologist......Bottom line is this heart arrythmia happened within the last year...they say stress so I must learn not to care so much.... hopefully with care my heart and blood pressure will return to normal.
 
I made a cream soup of cauliflower and potatoes which turned out pretty good.  Yolanda and Juan Gabriel like to be here for dinner,  so guess they like my cooking....I always need to have something for them to eat and they really seem to appreciate it.
 
Ricardo has been taking great care of me....he has seperated all the medications and makes sure I get the right ones at the right time....and he makes me a great breakfast every day....this morning it was easy over eggs over 2 lightly toasted corn tortillas with a spicy tomato sauce he made from scratch....it was DELICIOUS!!!  And bacon from Ital Deli which has wonderful meat, and everything.... he takes the bus over to get me bacon from there because it's the best...BUT, he says he's only going to do this for me for the rest of my life,  so.........(a nice sence of humor too)
 
Think we'll go to Tacanijo tonight for some awesome tortilla soup....I made some hot peppers and carrots so we'll see what they think....Marcela (Paulo's wife) called the other day to see how I am & I told her we'd see them this weekend.....
 
 
Life continues to be good in Cuenca...
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Who is that handsome guy at the butcher block table? Oh, it's the one that adores you and waits on you hand and foot. What a blessing. ....Lindy

    ReplyDelete