Tuesday, October 14, 2014

......and HOSPITAL DEL RIO ....


So my health care saga continues.....

Tuesday evening Susana took us to the hospital where I had mostly the same tests as Friday -- nothing was any better so the decision was to admit me... only problem was there were no beds available   (lucky for me)  so they transferred me to the best hospital here,  the Hospital del Rio,  a private teaching hospital connected with a private medical school......It's only about 5 years old and very nice.

More tests and then I was put into a 4 bed room with only 1 other occupant - a very ill old lady who made almost no sounds....

A Gerontologist was assigned to me and the rounds of doctors and nurses began.....one of the most interesting is a gal named Nora who is from Romania - she speaks English, Spanish, Romanian and Hungarian....a med student who really has her act together,  and a delightful sense of humor.   Another outstanding nurse is Tatiana (something) Correa and she LOVES corn tortillas!

I was hooked up to a heart monitor and had constant readings of my heart and blood pressure,  IV drip,   and I had oxygen too....and then the pills began.
My problem is an arrhythmia in my heart and very high blood pressure....they had to treat both carefully; slowing down my "dancing heart" and lowering my blood pressure,  but not too fast .....

The room was light and bright and my bed was by the huge window wall with a view of the mountain.

The picture doesn't do it justice,  but it sure helped to pass the time with no TV, no WiFi, no computer and visitors were VERY limited.    My friends were kicked out and then this power hungry semi administrator tried to kick out Ricardo....Well,  he went to the top director and ended up making a friend who told him he could be there as long as he wanted, any time he wanted,  he just couldn't sleep there......
 
The Cardiologist who came to see me was a Dr. Santiago Domingues who went to Medical School in Mexico City ---  a great school that everyone wants to attend but few can afford.   Really nice doctor,  guapo too!!
 
They finally got my heart beating normally and my blood pressure to an acceptable level and I was released Monday.....but not before the bill was paid!
 
Now this was all under IESS, the national health care system for which we pay premiums of about $80 month for the two of us,  so we weren't expecting a bill.  Rick went down to settle up.    The total charges were over $1000 which compared to the US was nothing,  and we were to pay  $56.    Ricardo,  mainly to test the system, told them he had no money.   They insisted I couldn't leave the hospital unless he paid....at this point I still was connected to the IV drip which they would not remove until the bill was settled!      So after much discussion and approval by the head guy Ricardo agreed to sign a note and leave his cedula there until Oct. 22, when my social security check is deposited, and then go pay. 
 
The whole point is to prove that everything is negotiable  -- sometimes the Cuencanos forget this.....Frankly I'm not sure it was worth the trouble,  but Ricardo always wants to challenge those in authority and win,  and that's a good thing.
 
Susana picked us up in her son Ruben Jr.'s "new" car, he driving, and Susana so nervous....but he's a good driver just not terribly experienced...but he will be....he has just started Law School at the University here so he and his cousin Paul  (Bertha's son) will share rides when possible.....
 
Got home and Bertha had made a big pot of delicious chicken vegetable soup which she and Geovanni brought over steaming hot....Susana sat and visited and then I was down for a nap.    Later on Susana and Bertha came over to visit for awhile.....they are so caring and kind....
 
Am taking a lot of medications but I do feel better,  at least I can breath better....not being able to get your breath or breathe deep is scary.
 
Will see a new cardiologist on Thursday so we'll see what he has to say.  His office is downtown and much closer for us -  the IESS and Hospital del Rio are on the outskirts of Cuenca so this will be more convenient.....
 
All in all I am very impressed and pleased with the medical care here.....God only knows what this would have cost us in the US, and now with some of the stuff coming out about Obamacare I am wondering if I would have even been treated!!
 
Rick is doing the cooking and doing a great job....he did grow up in the restaurant business but he never loved the cooking part,  but HE CAN COOK!
And I have a supply of my favorite ice cream -- life is good!!
 
Many thanks for all the prayers....I know they helped....MIL GRACIAS!!
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Querida Susan,
    Great update - Knowing you received wonderful care and are doing better, and also informative on how to handle challenges that arise in the healthcare system here. Love that they couldn't kick Ricardo out. Speaking the language allows one to stand up and negotiate. I'm curious why you had to pay $56? I thought IESS covered it all. Like you said, the medical cost here is nothing compared to the USA rip-off fees that most people could never pay. How blessed we are to be here and to have the medical privileges offered to us. Sending love and praying for you to our God who saves and heals.
    Con Amor,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Querida Linda,
      The $56 was for medication - IESS doesn't cover 100% of ALL medications.....
      Thanks for your prayers....Hope to see you very soon!!

      Delete
  2. Well lady, I was beginning to worry about you! Tried Tango, email, no answer, I was thinking that you had really become ill (and I guess you were). I send hugs and prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery. So glad you were well taken care of.

    Ricardo is so funny, gave me my laugh for the day. Had that hospital administrator eating out of his hand.

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Querida Lindy,
      Stuck without Tango, What's App, email .....enough to make a well person sick, no? :)
      Gracias for your prayers!!!

      Delete