Monday, February 9, 2015

THE Baby Shower!!!

There is nothing like a Baby Shower Latino/Cuenca  style!!  

I was invited to the BABY SHOWER of the owners of Tacanijo Mexican Restaurant and I was so delighted!!

It was so much fun and more about celebrating family life than the typical shower where the accent is gifts....

The "start time" was 3pm...I arrived a little late as taxis were not plentiful on Sunday afternoon, but I was by no means the last to arrive - some got there as late as 5pm..... and that's typical...

First Marcela introduced me to her mother,  Bertha... a very lovely LADY  ---I sat at her table with her sisters -- all great women, well educated and fun!






We played some typical "shower games", ate little sweet tidbits, and drank some wine....Tacanijo  was decorated appropriately with all kinds of blue colors to welcome Marcela and Paulo's third son....They are sooo excited and anxious to receive their new little one -- in two weeks!

Marcela has amazing stamina --she looks so beautiful and full of life -- what a great family!


Their oldest son played the piano for us...he is so cute and does quite well on the piano.....the youngest son (soon to be the middle child) wanted to sing but only if no one could hear him!


They are both extremely well behaved and well mannered....



Paulo served  delicious tostadas... chicken,  beef,  and mushroom.....first you spread the fried corn tortilla with refried beans, then put on chicken (0r whatever) and top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes or any garnish you prefer.....he made a delicious green sauce to top it off....and then, 
  BLUE MARGARITAS!!   Yummm....


Just when I thought things were winding down they started setting up a stage....with microphones.....and the whisper was.....
MARIACHI'S were on their way!!!


Everyone LOVES Paulo -- from his mother-in-law to all his family, customers and friends....a great husband,  father,  and business man!!   It was so good to see him having such a grand time!!

This  terrific Mariachi  group of is made up of  8 very talented musicians and singers.... everyone had a ball....and there was Marcela at 9 months pregnant -- dancing!




















At least 50 women or more were there, and I was the only Gringa -- I felt very honored,  and I had a wonderful time....Bertha (Marcela's mother) and brother  brought me home and they want to come practice English with me -- I look forward to their visits!

But this shower was the END of a wonderful weekend....on Friday Mosquita came over -- we went for hamburgers at Bertuchi's, and then to bed as she  spent the night....she was so exhausted poor darling and slept till almost 9 ... I was so glad.....fixed Mexican eggs Susan style for breakfast.  She then wanted to go see the Italian bread/cheese man-- she had some of his bread here at our house a couple of weeks ago and didn't forget how good it is...so off we went and got bread, cheese and olives -- what a feast with a glass of nice red wine!!

On Saturday night I had a date -- with  RICARDO---he took me for a nice quiet dinner at Fabiano's ...  After 53 years there is still no one I would rather go to dinner with than my darling hubby!
 Rick just loves Jackie and Josyln  -- mother and daughter who look more like sisters...they do a wonderful job of making dining at Fabianos a lovely experience...
My wine all gone  -- and since  I don't drink more than one,  it was a little sad,  ha, ha!!

Oh yes,  Sunday morning we went to Mass at the Cathedral -- arrived a little late as there was a Pase de Nino procession in the street so it really slowed up traffic....The Church was packed - we split up so Rick could get a seat (his ankles have been bothering him a lot ) and I sat on the steps of a side altar....when I looked up I gazed at some fabulous stained glass windows....

This window is very high up....
And this one below it....they are doing a lot of work restoring the roof/ceiling thus the scaffolding....it's all so gorgeous and really glorifies God...

Then we went over to El CANTARO  for a late lunch....Ricardo had Seco de Carne ... a kind of beef stew...
And I had fried shrimp....

The shrimp was supposed to come with fried bananas, fried potatoes and a small salad,
but I just wanted a nice salad and a few potatoes...
It was very good and the price was right  ....  $3.50 for Rick's plate and under $8 for my shrimp....  the thing here is that if you don't see what you want on the menu they can usually make it for you, and they do it with pleasure...

The weather has been absolutely gorgeous here but I would like to see a little rain...for the flowers...  feel sorry for those in the states with all the snow.....

God has truly blessed Cuenca and all those who are lucky enough to live here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment